You’ve probably heard of electrolyte water and may even have bought yourself a bottle or two. But is electrolyte water worth the hype? In this article, we’ll tell you everything about electrolyte-enhanced water to help you stay in the know.
What Is Electrolyte-Enhanced Water?
In simple terms, electrolyte-enhanced water is water with dissolved electrolytes. But what are electrolytes? Electrolytes are charged minerals, particularly magnesium, calcium, sodium, potassium, and chloride, that regulate fluid balance in the body cells, blood pressure, help with muscle contraction and maintain the blood Ph.
When Do You Need Electrolyte-Infused Water?
Electrolyte water sellers sayyour body needs electrolyte water to transport nutrients, flush out body waste, and regulate body temperature or stay hydrated. But this is not true. You only need electrolyte water if:
– You’re working out for more than one hour
– You’re vomiting or experiencing diarrhea
– You’re working under extremely hot conditions
Alternatives to Electrolytes-Enhanced Water
Did you know that vitamins and minerals added in tap water are not as helpful as when consumed with food? This is because water-soluble vitamins and minerals pass through the digestive system quickly before being absorbed into the body. Instead, you would be better off getting electrolyte replenishment from food sources such as:
– Spinach: They are a great source of calcium and magnesium
– Lentils: These are phenomenal sources of potassium and magnesium.
– Pickled foods: These are loaded with chloride and sodium. But it would be best if you went slow on sodium-containing food to avoid the risk of hypertension.
– Sunflower seeds: These are a great source of phosphorus and magnesium.
– Milk: This is one of the richest sources of electrolytes. Besides being a source of carbs and protein, milk is a good source of calcium, potassium, and sodium.
As you can see, electrolytes-enhanced water is not the best answer to your hydration needs. Instead, tap water purified through reverse osmosis is all you need to stay hydrated and keep your body running smoothly.
Let Ising’s Culligan of Stockton Help You!
The reverse osmosis systems at Ising’s Culligan of Stockton will allow you to enjoy contamination-free water without breaking a bank. Our experts will help you choose and install the right system for your specific needs.
We also provide free water testing and water purification solutions. Please fill out the online contact form, request a free in-home water test, or call us at 209-690-0007 to schedule an appointment.
Everything You Need to Know About Reverse Osmosis
Is Reverse Osmosis (RO) Water Better For You? What You Should Know
Do You Need A Water Softener With Reverse Osmosis?
Why You Need A Water Filtration System For Your Home’s Well Water